Who is Mine Safety Appliances (MSA)?
MSA – The Safety Company was founded over 100 years ago by mine engineer John T. Ryan Sr. and George H. Deike. Recognizing the critical importance of dependable and safe mining equipment, they went straight to one of this country’s great thinkers: Thomas Edison. Edison helped Ryan and Deike create the electric cap lamp which helped to reduce mine explosions by 75%.
Over the last century, MSA has continued to value the importance of workplace safety and has led the way by harnessing new technologies to produce state-of-the-art, high-quality products, instruments, and services.
What is the XCell Sensor Technology?
MSA’s patented XCell Sensors with TruCal technology* extends your calibration cycle of gas detector sensors for as long as 18 months. TruCal is a simulated calibration that adjusts sensitivity to compensate for environmental effects. This eliminates the need for regularly scheduled calibrations. The XCell sensors are designed to detect combustible or toxic gases, as well as oxygen and boast longer life, longer warranties, operability at higher temperatures and better resolution.
The latest innovation in the XCell sensors is Diffusion Supervision (DS). DS warns if the sensor inlet becomes blocked and unable to detect gas. It employs a proprietary acoustic mechanical design and algorithms to measure sound across the sensor’s inlet. This means if the inlet is blocked by material, like ice, a difference in sound is detected and the unit goes into fault. When the obstruction is removed DS detects the clearance and the gas detector returns to normal operation.
XCell Sensors provide users with benefits, such as:
- Up to 1.5 years between calibrations
- TruCal technology*
- Diffusion Supervision sends acoustic signal every six hours to check for inlet obstructions
- Longer expected sensor life (up to five years)
- SafeSwap enables safe and quick XCell Sensor replacement without powering off gas detector
- Suitable for an array of industries including chemical, oil and gas, petrochemical, utilities, and general industry
- Growing list of dateable combustible and toxic gases (current detectable gases are CO2, CO, H2S, O2, and SO2)
*TruCal available on CO & H2S XCell sensors
Want to learn more? Contact Eastern Controls directly or you can download a brochure that dives deeper into XCell Sensor technology!